Monday, August 06, 2012

Where the planet is covered in green carpet

Puffy and white
Somewhere over Illinois
May 2012



















It's been a wonderful week of cloud-themed photos - please click here for some last-minute sharing of your own, and feel free to drop in on the other participants, too - but like all good things, it must eventually come to an end.

I grabbed this one on final approach to Chicago's O'Hare Airport. As you fly over the planet, you realize just how different the topography is as you skip from place to place. Part of it has to to with geography, geology and climate, of course. But sometimes, human influence can be just as transformative, as well (for earlier examples, click here and here) which can make for some interesting times beside the aircraft window.

I had never seen the planet look quite this way before. The wisps of clouds in the corner made it a no-brainer to shoot. I wonder what else I'll see next time I'm in the sky.

Your turn: Who's down there?

One more thing: I've been experimenting with non-traditional cameras lately, so I'm thinking next week's Thematic theme should be this: Pics taken with a smartphone. Thoughts?

2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

There are butterflies and dragonflies down there, Carmi.
~

Kranky Granny said...

I hate to say this but that picture minus the white puffy clouds looks like the pattern on the wallpaper that hung in my mother-in-laws dining room for forty years.