Sunday, August 12, 2012

Walk this way

Smart floor
Shanghai, China
May 2012



















Maybe I need to get out more, but when I saw these signs embedded in the floor, I immediately wondered why every publicly-accessible building with traffic, lineup and flow issues doesn't also have them.

I found these at the airport just outside Shanghai, and although I'm sure they didn't make the endless lineups move any faster, they gave travellers something to wonder about as they snaked back and forth between the meticulously arranged barriers.

If they allowed Google+ there, I'd give these things a +1.

Your turn: How do you make being in a lineup tolerable?

6 comments:

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

at least they're not lighting up & spinning!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

How do you make being in a lineup tolerable?

I make funny faces at the police officers, Carmi.

;-)

Linda Roth said...

I strike up conversations with people. Everybody is as bored as I am and looking for something to occupy the time. Good conversation makes lines move faster and time fly by. I also learn a few things.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Carmi, I agree w/LW... also we have on our bike paths (at the beach) marked w/a bike insignia in one lane and a stick figure re: people in the other lane... and still people as well as bicyclists will walk or ride in the opposing lanes... lol

Shane Black said...

I have never had any issue retreating to within my own thoughts and thus never have a problem waiting in a line (by myself. With others where I can't zone out is a different matter).

Usually, I get a bit miffed that my thinking time has come to an end when I reach the end of the lineup! I'm weird that way.

darlin said...

Carmi sometimes I talk to others who are also waiting; it helps to pass the time. If nobody is receptive I've finally entered into the cell phone with the internet era so no more being bored or getting irritated in long line ups. However, I do the best I can to avoid lineups: I'll buy groceries when the rest of the city works, or sleeps; I do all of my Christmas shopping before Dec. 1st; and I never go to restaurants where I have to wait in line to be seated. There's way too many restaurants in the city to have to wait.

I love what Shane said about reaching the end of the line up... good one Shane! You put a smile on my face today, cheers!