Saturday, October 23, 2004

Rosie DiManno revisited

I've written previously about how much I admire and respect Rosie DiManno for her unabashedly honest and in-your-face style of writing. Few columnists have the ability to punch you in the psyche with their words. Rosie is clearly one of them, and I know I'm better at what I do because I regularly read her work.

Her most recent piece, Do not push gently into that good night, will literally shove you back into your seat and remain in your brain for days afterward. Yes, she's that good. I'd give up a major organ to be similarly gifted.

But enough about me. Follow the link above to this article, and feel free to share similarly powerful writers with the readers of this space known as my blog. Funny how, as time goes on, this humble site is attracting a gradually growing legion of its own. Cool!

Ms. DiManno's online archive is located here. If you've got a bit of free time, I highly recommend you spend some time exploring it. Her coverage of the Athens Olympics was particularly human-focused and poignant. She's one of the few sports writers who avoids the cliché, and successfully manages to make the compelling stories of an athlete interesting and relevant to the sports anti-fan.

At some point, I'll integrate a link to her page into my sidebar. But not tonight. I finally felt well enough to finish installing the floor, so I got busy after supper. It's been an ordeal, again, because I'm just not as flexible as I was when I was 16. (Please hold your jokes until after the children have gone to bed.) But at least this time I didn't end up with pinched nerves in both my legs! So, on balance, it's been a decent outcome.

Onward…

No comments: