Thursday, October 07, 2004

The unbearable lightness of being...tired

I woke up before dawn today so that I could edit some work that was deadlined for this morning and really should have been finished last night. Problem was, I fell asleep while tucking our kids in - don't ask, there's something about reading bedtime stories that just pushes me over the edge.

Next thing I knew, it was past 1 a.m. and my wife was rousing me from my comfortable (yeah, right) perch at the end of our little guy's bed. I mumbled something about needing to get on the computer so I could finish my work. But instead I rested my head on my pillow - "just for a minute" - and promptly fell right back asleep.

Maybe I subconsciously enjoy pushing my work until I'm so perilously close to deadline that if I so much as sneeze, the resulting loss in productive time will force me to miss my deadline. Perhaps I recall my early years in radio, when I would write the morning news run - a new script every half hour to feed the maw of the news machine. It was an incredible rush, but the adrenalin gets to you after a while. And when it's over, you feel spent until you have to come back the next day to go through it all again.

Which brings me to this morning. The alarm clock in my head kicked in around 4-ish to let me know it was finally time to get serious. So downstairs I went to my ever-friendly PC. I popped in my headphones, cranked up some tunes - Good Charlotte seems to be the band of the week, for some reason - and got to work.

I flew through an absolute ton of work before the littlest man in our life trundled down the stairs and ever-so-politely asked if he could watch Finding Nemo. I chatted with blueberry boy for a while - he was wearing a one-piece pair of blue pyjamas, and I'm a huge fan of such attire because it looks so darn cozy - before the DVD decided it had spent long enough booting and started the movie.

Long story short (um, sure, like that's possible with me, but let's assume this is the case for a moment), I got everything done before I left the house in time for our morning review meeting. It wasn't pretty. But it worked.

Now I need a nap. Can someone cover for me, please?

No comments: