Monday, July 04, 2011

Thematic Photographic 152 - Vertical

Reach for the sky
London, ON
June 2011

I've been here before, in the hospital parking lot, and like the last time I stood on this spot, I had a camera in my hand. Here's the link.

What's changed? Well, for one, it was late evening this time out, and the sickly backlit scene had been replaced by a perfectly blue-sky/golden-hour moment. Oh, and they seem to have either repainted or recladded the stacks in the 5-ish years since I last pointed my lens in this direction.

Which is all my way of saying I hope you look up, often, over the next week. Vertical is the theme, and as always, how you choose to explore it is entirely up to you.

The story behind my own initial contribution is a simple one: I was on my way into the hospital after parking the car (see here for the story of our daughter's soccer-goalie adventure) and, as I often do when things are a little unsettled in my world, I pull out the camera and quickly shoot whatever I see. It's my way of freezing the moment and giving myself something to look back at when things calm down.

Funny enough, I did the same thing when our son broke his leg, too, except that time I was a couple of rows over in the parking lot, and I pointed the lens 180 degrees toward the setting sun (see here) and I'll probably keep doing it whenever logic would dictate otherwise.

Sometimes, logic has no right to tell us when we can or cannot take the shot. That's for our gut to decide.

Your turn: Thematic Photographic is our weekly photo sharing and learning activity. To participate, simply post a vertically-themed pic over on your blog - or find one you may have already posted - and then leave a comment here letting folks know where to find it. Repeat as often as you wish, and feel free to pull friends into the fray as well. Even if they're kicking and screaming. For more background on how this thing works, click here. Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with!

16 comments:

fredamans said...

I have many vertical things in my shot, though not as prominent as yours.

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2011/07/thematic-photographic-vertical.html

MissMeliss said...

I haven't been blogging much lately, but I'm hoping to change that. This Thematic Photographic topic caught my attention though, so here's my interpretation:

http://www.missmeliss.com/thematic-photographic-vertical/

Bob Scotney said...

My verticals are shipshape and Bristol fashion.

http://bit.ly/jce0yj

A Paperback Writer Photos said...

For the first time in quite a while, I actually knew EXACTLY what I wanted to share with this theme. Please drop by and see my photos of the Standing Stones of Stenness. :)

http://apaperbackwriterphotos.blogspot.com/2011/07/photo-non-contest-152-vertical.html

Gilly said...

Great subject! Here are mine!

Gilly said...

Sorry, wrong link again! Try this one

Sorry Carmi! But anyone following the first link will see some photos of wet Bergen, Norway!!

Little Nell said...

I came here after seeing Bob Scotney’s pictures. What a good idea this is. I’ve enjoyed all the pictures posted so far. Mine are both man-made and natural.

http://hangingonmyword.blogspot.com/2011/07/vertical-challenge.html

Max Sartin said...

So far, I've seen a lot of great photos from you guys! Here's my addition to the group.

Edith Levy said...

Carmi, let me just say again that I love your blog. Here's my link to your Thematic Photographic challenge.
http://edithlevyphotography.com/2011/06/25/a-different-perspective/

Anonymous said...

THose are the biggest Duracel batteries I have ever seen!

Alexia said...

really interesting theme!

here are mine

Limarea said...

Love your picture! Here is my vertical entry :) http://zestoflemons.blogspot.com/2011/07/vertical.html

Jim said...

Great entries so far, makes me want to start traveling again. Here's mine. While the subjects were vertical, I was not.

21 Wits said...

Thanks Carmi this is quite an interesting theme...once again...and your photo and (story behind so warm and charming!) Here is mine

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2011/07/thematic-photographic-152-vertical.html

Chibi Janine said...

My son likes vertical objects

Chibi Janine said...

My son likes Vertical objects

Sorry if this posts twice but blogger is messing me around.