Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bird on a wire


Low level flight
St. Laurent, QC, October 2011

In the late-afternoon light in the parking lot of the Place Vertu mall, I found myself shooting seagulls because, well, I'm not entirely sure why. But here's the thing: There doesn't always need to be a reason. Sometimes, it's enough to pull the camera from its bag and shoot because having that delightfully hefty chunk of electronics and glass in your hand is exactly what you need at that moment. Because it feels absolutely right. Because you know as soon as you get everything dialed in, photographic moments will just happen.

The psychology of photography. Who woulda thought?

Your turn: Do you ever shoot - or write, or otherwise create - simply because it feels right? Do you necessarily need a reason? Why do you create in the first place?

One more thing: What does this have to do with metallica? I'm thinking that Hydro Quebec monstrosity in the background might qualify. Sneaky of me, huh? Head here to share your own.

7 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The obvious reason is because: it feels good!. Also, it shows what I may have been feeling or its the result of figuring out something and the result came out in that picture.

David Edward said...

the writing is IN me, i just have to take time to let it out. and lately I have had that time. I love the shape of birds wings, and how they can be quite different. what a wonderful Creator G-d we have.
" are you not worth more than many sparrows, will not your Father in heaven also take care of you".
Blessings on you and your family today

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

That's why I almost never leave the house without my camera.
~

Tabor said...

Photography has always been an addiction in my life, but my life has caused me to go cold turkey for certain periods of time with other priorities. Now that I am free once again, I indulge endlessly. I really see better through the lens.

Anonymous said...

There are times that I absolutely must capture what I see and what I am feeling. This is why I compose haiku in my head while driving alone.

Linda Roth said...

Yes, I often. But not because it feels right--that's too conscious--more that I have to express whatever shows up. I don't know what the thing that drove me to sit down at the keyboard or pick up the paint brush, pen or chalk is. I do know, it will show itself in whatever results. The drive to create is just part of me--and you--and everybody else who makes art.

Barbara said...

When I don't have my camera at the ready I feel empty handed. I'm finding that not everyone appreciates the photos I take, even when they are of their kids, but looking back over them makes me smile, and I need that -- maybe more than they do. Afterall, they have those adorables performing for them all day, and night! But the best shots are the ones I didn't expect to get --- when something told me to tote that three pound Canon with me just in case!