Monday, October 10, 2011

A cathedral where nobody prays


Big tree country
London, ON, October 2011

I thought I'd sneak in one last view of autumn before this week's Thematic theme wraps up*. I had about 20 minutes to spare yesterday in between two sets of running-the-kids-around-town errands, and decided to take a fast-walk loop through the lovely meadow barely two blocks from our house.

Sadly, this is a place that I always want to visit, but never actually do. In between life, life and more life, there's just never enough time to enjoy it. I'd walk the dog here in the evening, but my fear of skunks wandering out of the darkened forest keeps me away. I like seeing them from far away, thanks muchly.

So on this no-time-to-think afternoon walkabout, I finally decided to plunge in. I had my DSLR slung over my shoulder, but it was this one, a test shot taken with my lowly BlackBerry camera, that stuck in my mind. Everyone on Facebook seemed to love it, so I thought you might like it, too.

--
* Pop on in at 7:00 p.m. Eastern (OMG, that's tonight!) for the new theme, triangular. If you've got any threesies hiding in your archives, we want to see 'em.

8 comments:

Kavi said...

How wonderful Autumn is ! How lovelythe change of colour.

And yet, I just wrote and posted pics on my blog about kerala in southern India. This season doesnt bring a change in colour. Yet, it is so appealing and so wonderful.

The world is such a pretty place. If only we stop to stand and stare !

21 Wits said...

Ah, this is only place my mother would pray....nature is so open to our prayers. Especially after my sister died, my mother only prayed in places like this....she walked away from the church (building) for the rest of her life... Love this image, where it commands us to gaze upward....you just feel like it goes on forever. And I have a solution for the lovely scent of fresh mowed grass in the middle of winterland! Wheatgrass shots....really, you can't just smell it you must drink it down...and just feel what comes over you....It's always found in those healthy shops, and you can have it added to smoothies but drinking a shot is the true way to experience it...and the stuff is most healthy for you too!

Anonymous said...

I'd pray there!
How could I not look up and thank our Creator for such beauty?

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Love it!. btw w/my obscure eye, the way the trees come together- i see an abstract heart- do u see it?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I see a bent over smiley/teasing heart.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Carmi, is your fear of skunks well-founded?

From what I've read, they prefer to bluff their way through scary (to them) encounters, as their scent glands take a while to replenish themselves when they actually use them.

These pics are from a golf course (of course, the skunks there are plentiful and used to being around people).
~

David Edward said...

i just spent a week in the wild, and its like you don't have to pray or praise because the nature scene is already doing so.

darlin said...

I love the color Carmi, very nice! And this was shot with a phone? Wow, times sure have progressed. Remember the old cell phones, they used to take up an entire seat and you either had to work on the oil patch or be a multimillionaire to be able to afford one... the good old days sometimes weren't quite that good at times.