Sunday, October 02, 2011

Jumbled


Making connections
London, ON, August 2011

Ever wonder who decides what qualifies as extraordinary and what qualifies as merely ordinary? If such a person could be identified, would we know the process by which he or she achieved this lofty role?

Which is my way of saying there can never be such a person, and the whole concept of extraordinary should never be left to others. Rather, it should be left up to us.

Case in point, these paper clips I found hanging around my wife's desk. They're ordinary, forgettable appendages of the modern pre-paperless office, not typically worth a discussion let alone a photo and a blog entry. Yet for some reason, at this particular moment in my otherwise ordinary existence, I felt the need to optically record them. It's one of those little details of typical life that seem to give it that much more texture.

I still can't explain precisely why I did so. I'm just glad we live in a world that allows this kind of self determination and expression.

Your turn: Why does ordinary matter to you?

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

"Ordinary" keeps me sane.. Reminds me of the basics of what is important...Ordinary is simple, what works, or doesn't work...Extraordinary can be complicated, may sound good in your head until its on paper..

21 Wits said...

It keeps reminding us just how fragile and important we (human life) all are....and the power of such small little details we simply use....anyone of those clips that seem quite almost worth nothing...could actually out live us all.....and many years from now, some other person could stumble across them and wonder...hmm where and what kind of life have these little clips led?!

Tina´s PicStory said...

that looks really cool :)

Birgit said...

For me ordinary can be really extraordinary. A simple change of perspective makes the difference...

Greetings from Germany,
Birgit