Wednesday, October 12, 2011

BlackBerrys go dark...

...which makes for a busy evening and morning for me. Whenever tech news happens, I tend to get calls asking for my take on stuff. And since Research In Motion is having a bad week with a spreading global service outage that's affected email and messaging traffic from Europe and the Mideast to Latin America and now North America, I'm getting a few requests for comment tonight.

Stay tuned to CTV's Canada AM tomorrow morning just after 7:00 Eastern. I'll also be on CTV News Channel just after 9:00 a.m. And because a little radio is always fun to toss into the mix, I'll be speaking with CBC's Wei Chen at 6:40 a.m., and 570News's Jeff Allan at 10:00 a.m.

Along the way I've also spoken with CTV London's Tara Overholt and CTV Kitchener's David Imrie. I'm sure there's more in there somewhere, but I've got to power through some writing before I can digest it all.

Interesting times.

Your turn: Do you own a BlackBerry? How has this outage affected you?

8 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I am probably one of the few that DON'T have one... I'm not into all the apps that a Blackberry may have.. I guess I am not too trusting w/using my phone for banking, emailing, etc... just using it for a phone and nothing else...

Edith Levy said...

Yup I own a blackberry and I'm not impressed. There was an outage a couple of months ago as well. Bad timing for RIM if you ask me with the new iPhone coming out in a couple of days. I've contemplating switching for some time now. I'm getting closer to switching. The only thing that's been holding me back is the bbm.

Glenn Cressman said...

Just in time for the iPhone 4S!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'm still thinking about getting a cell phone one of these days, like all you kids carry on with.
~

21 Wits said...

No Blackberry for me either, I'm pretty much like Chrissy, except I take a lot of pictures with it too-it's a Facebook must you know! Good luck Carmi on all this.....tech biz!
We do live in an amazing world!

darlin said...

Wow, you're a busy man! I don't own a blackberry, I was going to go and get an iPhone but put that thought on hold until I return from my trip to Australia where I'll be doing my final practicum. There's no point in having a phone when I won't be here to learn how to use it. Oh, I just noticed Edith's comment, the iPhone 5 is coming out? I was kind of waiting for that as well and now I'm glad I've waited!

Have a great day, unfortunately I won't be able to tune in to hear you.

Sara said...

I don't own a blackberry, but I am supposed to contact someone this morning on her BB ... hmmm.

Anonymous said...

My husband turned in his work-issued BB when he retired. Now he carries a plain ol' cell phone (flip phone) like me.