Monday, October 17, 2011

Wind power


Green transit
Grand Bend, ON, August 2011

About this photo: It's been a great week for triangles, but all good things must eventually come to an end. If you're still on the geometric fence, click here. Otherwise, we're back at 7 p.m Eastern - tonight! - with our new Thematic theme for the coming week. What will it be? How does edible grab you?
I learned to sail when I was 13 years-old. My logic? What better way to get around the lake than by letting the wind shove you around? The lazy kid in me felt pretty darn smug as I tacked back and forth and watched the canoeists and rowers work themselves into a sweat.

I haven't sailed in years. Life got in the way, and not living near a major body of water pushed my dreams of Laser ownership into the distant past. But that doesn't mean I don't get a twinge every time I see a sailboat cruise past the beach. I wonder if the folks on board have similar dreams of easy, inexpensive transport. I wonder if they get that same feeling of almost magical control when the wind fills the sails and begins to move the boat. I sure hope so.

Your turn: Did you ever do the boating thing?

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Yes. We used to own a Hobie Cat and that was so much fun when the wind wanted to toss us over the waves. We do a lot of our own power now in a canoe...but he feeling of moving over the surface of the water is still pleasurable.

21 Wits said...

Yes, for us too, it seems each year it gets less and less...even with it so easy to do...Your word about your sailing days as a young boy bring back lots of adventurous memories! But today when I get to the lake it seems the young sailors of yesterday aren't so much on their boats dreaming of Huck Finn, they are more apt to be ripping up the gentle waves with noisy machines or being quite merry as they anchor about 10 boats together, and do they make it out to sea?.... Carmi, you have captured just the perfect blue in these waters, with just a touch of green bouncing on the waves.....one could be reborn sailing along those waters....

21 Wits said...

Oh yes, edible does sound great, I can already imagine the many various way this group will respond to that! It'll be sight fully tasty!