Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Chinese media adventure

I'm having a good time seeing what I can and cannot do technologically while I'm away, and as it turns out I can do pretty much whatever I want from my perch here in my hotel room. Skype and Facetime have given me a view into my family's world back home and, just as importantly, have allowed them to peek over my shoulder at what it's like here. Various other technologies, from email to BBM, Facebook and Twitter, have amplified the conversation no matter where we are or what we're up to. Technology is an amazing thing - I know I've said it before, but this week has reminded me yet again of its transformative power to connect us no matter where we may be.

As an example, Research In Motion named a new Chief Operating Officer and Chief Marketing Officer this week. I wrote this piece, Frank Boulben joins RIM, solidifies its future, for Yahoo! Canada, and also turned my desk into a makeshift studio:

  • I spoke live with CTV News Channel's Jacqueline Milczarek. Don't ask what time of night it was - it'll upset my mother. Video here. Alternate link here.
  • CTV Kitchener's Nicole Lampa interviewed me for her report on the 6 p.m. newscast. Link here.
Sometime late tonight my time - 1:00 p.m. Eastern Thursday - I'll be speaking live with CJAD in Montreal (tune in here.) No exotic technologies for that one: we're sticking with the tried-and-true telephone.

Update: Thanks to the cross-planetary wizardry of CJAD producer extraordinaire Sheldon Fried, who sent me the aircheck of the episode even before I was finished dismantling my studio-in-a-hotel-room, you can listen into the show by clicking here.

Your turn: Does technology make the world smaller?

No comments: