Wednesday, May 23, 2012

On technology and experience

"Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
Max Frisch

This one made me ponder a bit, as I think there are two sides to this equation. Sure, we can use technology to isolate ourselves - hiding behind our inbox, for example, or spending every waking hour poking each other and writing on the virtual walls of so-called "friends". But we can also use it to reach out and connect in ways that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

The choice, in the end, is ours. Neat how that works, isn't it?

Your turn: What thinketh you?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great quote, despite my not agreeing with it, I agree -- it made me think about how I use technology.

It truly is what we make of it. I mean, the fact that I can comment on this post -- to you, a stranger essentially -- blows my mind sometimes. We can have mutual interests, share thoughts, make each other think, laugh, cry, and so much more even though we may never have met or may never meet.

And it moves and grows and morphs so quickly! Not long ago (~15 years) when I moved away to university, my mother and I were still writing letters to each other because calling dipped into my limited home phone long distance plan. I laugh when I think about that, you know? Now I show her how well my garden is doing... from Skype... on my phone... with my $40 unlimited data/voice plan good to anywhere in the world. And I'm absolutely sure that 15 years from now I'll be doing something equally mind bending -- like showing her my garden as a remote 3d model. From my microscopic 7G smartphone. From space.

Okay, maybe not from space... but technology is neat!

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I don't think we develop it to isolate us.. We do it because man is constantly finding ways to do things easier and faster... Also, its normal for man to want to create and come up w/new things.

H said...

Everything in moderation...I think technology can help us experience life more fully, if we know when to step out into it.