Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Columns in the sky

Yellow steel, blue sky
London, ON
April 2012
Click here to join this week's Thematic
There's a certain joy associated with spending quiet time with the kids. They're still young enough that a walk to the playground remains on their radar. I know this won't be the case for too much longer, so when they say they want to go, I grab my camera and head out with them.

When we get there, I no longer need to watch them like a hawk, or stand under them to ensure they don't fall. They can more than hold their own, and they don't need me like they used to. On the surface, of course, it seems a little sad, but that's the deal with parenthood: We raise them until they no longer need us. This is all simply a sign that we're doing our job, and the world is evolving as it should.

So I content myself with wandering around this familiar place as I look for perspectives I may have missed on my countless previous visits here. I enjoy the challenge, because it's easy to get snap happy in a new venue. But it's a much more intense mental exercise to squeeze some new out of the old.

I can't believe I've been missing this railing fo all these years.

Your turn: How do you find something new in the unfamiliar?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Tears here as I remember those years. So precious and so fast.

Unknown said...

Carmi: You encourage me to always look at the ordinary and take more time to ponder what many take for granted. Whether this is a person, a building, a photograph of nature or a colorful painting. So I have been encouraged by a good teacher!