Thursday, May 10, 2012

Life comes from the sky

Feed me
London, ON
April 2012
Click here for more Thematic bushes and trees
I've always used photography as something of a milestone marker for my life. We can't freeze time in place, of course, but we can grab a moment through the lens and preserve it in some way for later recollection. If we shoot just the right way, the occasional picture will be so powerful that it'll take you right back to the moment it was taken.

For me, this is one of those pictures. Our little guy had been especially good, helping out around the house without being asked and generally being his typical sweet self. He had earned a special treat, which we decided was dinner out with dear old dad. As we sat in the restaurant and chatted over our meal, I noticed the gorgeous sun setting in the window. Like everyone else in our family, he's learned to spot that look that I get in my eye when I start to think about a scene. He said the sunset looked nice enough for picture, and asked me if I thought it was worth taking the camera out.

He didn't have to ask twice. I pulled the camera from its bag and composed through the plate glass window. He noticed the just-budding trees in the distance and said it would be neat if I could get those into the picture, too. I was only too happy to follow his suggestion, as the end result was a poignant reminder of where life comes from, and where it goes. I watched Noah munch down the rest of his well deserved dinner and thought to myself that, like the tree using the sun's energy to grow and thrive, he was doing a pretty good job absorbing the energy and opportunity around him, as well.

Soon enough we finished up and slowly began making our way home. As we walked across the now-darkened parking lot, I hoped he'd always find ways to turn himself to the sun, and to grow. Part of me knew I'd never need to worry about this one.

Your turn: What three words first come to mind when you see this pic?

4 comments:

Max Sartin said...

Another day gone.

MorahMommy said...

I love you both. Okay I cheated.... That was four words. xoxo

Alexia said...

A beautiful shot - and a great story. If I'm only allowed 3 words, they are:
love
family
connections

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I tend to use a bush or tree as part of these shots, too, Carmi.
~