Monday, May 14, 2012

Thematic Photographic 196 - Look Up

Goodbye, Chicago
Chicago, IL
May 2012

















I'm going to make this week's theme really simple because right about now I'm too jet lagged to think too deeply. The theme, look up, is as straightforward as they come, and can be interpreted any number of ways. I know you'll have fun with it.

I know I did, too. I was sitting at the very back of a United Airlines 777 that had just taken off from the Windy City. The thick haze made shooting out the high-quality (cough) plastic windows a challenge, as did the unpredictable light shooting through the thick clouds. As the plane climbed in an eastward-curving bank, I leaned as far forward as I dared - hello, neighbor-in-front-of-me - and angled the lens back. By this point I wasn't even using the viewfinder. Just shooting, confirming in the screen, adjusting angle, then shooting again. I think I managed a couple of repeat cycles before I realized we were about to bust through the cloud deck.

I held my breath and shot one last time before the window turned grey. This is the result, and by virtue of the rays peering down from on high, lighting up the abstract scene, I'm thinking there's more going on here than just a high-angled peek at a receding shoreline. Sometimes, you just get lucky.

Your turn: Shoot a pic in support of the theme, post it to your blog, then leave a comment here letting folks know where to find it. Repeat as often as you wish throughout the week, and feel free to use stuff you've posted previously, too. Bring a friend, if you wish - we'll award bonus warm fuzzies for newbies. For more background on how Thematic works, please click here. Otherwise, enjoy the show. I most certainly will, thanks to all of you!

12 comments:

fredamans said...

Once again I took it literal!

http://fredamans.blogspot.ca/2012/05/thematic-photographic-look-up.html

Love that ethereal sky Carmi!

Tina´s PicStory said...

great shot! love the sun finding her way through the clouds.
mine is here:
http://tinaspicstory.blogspot.de/2012/05/stuttgarter-fruhlingsfest.html

Gilly said...

I took it literally, too! Mine is here

Bob Scotney said...

More upward looking shots.
http://bit.ly/Kk6C2n

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I looked up and saw the sky.
~

21 Wits said...

Wow, what an amazing "look up" this shot is Carmi. Mine is just a bit lower key...then this but the plan is to catch some new ones by looking up this week! I enjoy this theme! Here's a first look

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2012/05/thematic-photographic-196-look-up.html

Anonymous said...

Here’s to things looking up

PJ said...

Wildlife is everywhere, even here

Alexia said...

I love those sun-through-the-clouds shots; beautiful.

I have some up-looking shots here.

gill's camera said...

Thank you Carmi for choosing this. It could be interpreted in so very many ways, for today though, there is one
here

Max Sartin said...

Your picture is a great start to the theme, great picture. As is the rest of the pictures I've seen on the other blogs. Hopefully I'll get a chance to add some to the group before the theme changes.

Max Sartin said...

Walking around my house, this is what I found Looking Up.