Monday, January 03, 2005

The balance of color

It's such a gray time of year - both visually and psychologically - that I find myself deliberately looking for anything that's richly-colored to jolt myself out of this seasonally-induced sea of sameness. I'm far from depressed, and I've never been diagnosed with SAD, but I can understand how long nights, short days, a dull landscape and non-stop cold can file the edges off of one's soul.

This picture injects jolts of color into the proceedings. It moves beyond color, though, to texture and temperature as well - all elements that make for a rich memory of a scene that lasted all of a few minutes in time.

Where do you find comfort during our calendar's doldrums? What brings you warmth and comfort?

And, oh yes, what, precisely, is this? (And will I stop using italics anytime soon?)

5 comments:

L said...

All I could think of was heap of cauliflower being lit by a flashlight... Pretty though. I'm blaming it on all these stupid asthma pills I have to take this week :)

Jill said...

It looks sort of like popcorn, but I can't imagine why it's so bright underneath. Hmph.

My cats bring me warmth and comfort - winter is the one time of the year that they intentionally seek us out. I am also partial to grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup on frosty days.

Anonymous said...

LazyVedaSays:
(http,vaza,blogspot,com)

I'm goin' with the coals of a grill, burning out. How you'd get so doggone close is well beyond me! Definitely see the smoke and the orangey light makes it easy to take as flame. I was initially stuck on popcorn as well though!

If someone's right, will you tell right away? ;)

Things that bring me out of the winter-yucks? We've an indoor botanical gardens nearby and it typically does the trick. We usually go every Jan/Feb or so. (yep, we're due!)

carmilevy said...

Getting warmer...

(Yes, if someone gets it right, I'll confirm it as soon as possible.)

Anonymous said...

LazyVedaSaysMore:
(http,vaza,blogspot,com)

"warmer"--haha! :)

Okay, I was gonna say fireplace or something, but what's with the little "cups" beneath? Fondu thingy? Smore's cooker? Now ya got me determined!