Sunday, January 02, 2005

Photoblog/MSN Spaces Experiment

I've already shared my thoughts on Microsoft's recently-launched MSN Spaces blog service (here's the post, entitled A blogging window opens...) My bottom-line assessment at the time was it was a nice effort but not sufficient to prompt me to abandon what I've already got here at Blogger.

I'm going to shift that world view ever-so-slightly now that I'm back from vacation and looking for an easy way to share lots of pictures with friends and family. Given the wide range of technical ability in my constituent group - yes, I'm being very careful with my words here - an easy-to-surf web-based solution would clearly work best.

I know I could simply dump a huge chunk of vacation pictures onto this blog. But I don't want this site to turn into Carmi's Family Photo Album. I realize it is already that to a certain extent. But that is only one of this blog's functions. I don't want to lose that sense of balance - the whole words 'n pictures 'n thoughts 'n whatever-else-comes-to-mind ethos.

I had set up an MSN Spaces site when it first launched, but left it untouched pending some future requirement. Enter the two-plus CDs of pictures we brought back from the trip.

Here's the site's URL: http://spaces.msn.com/members/writteninc/

(I know...it's also called "Written Inc." Sorry for the confusion. I was going for consistency.)

I will continue to post pictures and related thoughts here on (the original, Blogger-based) Written Inc. Nothing changes content-wise. I'm simply going to use my MSN Spaces site as a virtual family/friends photo album. If you're looking for pictures of us, our kids, our lives and related stuff, you'll find them there. (Yes, Mom and Dad. That means you. Don't be shy: leave a comment here and say hi to everyone. They don't bite.)

This site will continue its already-established journey of literary and photographic discovery, and I invite you to continue to surf on in here to experience the trip.

3 comments:

Joan said...

I love the pictures!!! I want more! You'll post more, won't you?

I'm so glad you and the family had a good time. Wish I could have seen you and yours as you passed through Atlanta!

I like the slide show feature on the MSN site. Now if only it could be set to music... ;-)

Happy New Year, Carmi! Thanks for being such a good "blog-friend!"

Jill said...

My family didn't take vacations when I was a kid, so your reflections from your trip are especially touching and heartwarming. This is what I want when we are finally able to adopt our babies. Thank you, Carmi.

DeAnn said...

I'm not sure how I feel about the look of the MSN Spaces, but do they host your photos for free? Because that might just make it worth it!

And, just a suggestion, but maybe you should change the title of your other blog to reflect that it's more personal -- like "Carmi's family" or "family life" or something like that. Hey, I never claimed to be creative.