Thursday, January 27, 2005

Readings of the day

The Internet has evolved into an amazing tool to read the work of others we would not otherwise be able to get. As a child, buying the Sunday New York Times was a magical glimpse into a broader world of opinion and thought leadership. Today, it's all at our fingertips: A five-minute search can generate a robust short-list of opinion pieces that should keep the thoughtful among us reading until well after bedtime, and thinking and discussing long after that.

With that in mind, I tried to grab a snapshot of opinion columns and other publishings that I feel are representative of my thoughts and feelings on this day:
Other resources for learning more about the Holocaust include Yad Vashem, the Simon Wiesenthal Center, the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Remember.org, Steven Spielberg's Visual History Foundation and The Holocaust Chronicle.

With that in mind, what are you reading today?

2 comments:

L said...

I went to the Holocaust Museum in St. Petersburg last year and was overwhelmed. I can't imagine what the German version must be like...

Mellie Helen said...

Having not read your post, nor realizing the anniversary date of Auschwitz, I just happened to be reading this past week a two-volume, graphic novel on the holocaust that is a MUST read: "Maus" by Art Spiegelman (Vol. I: "My Father Bleeds History", and Vol. II: "Here My Troubles Began"). I've read it a couple of times before, and re-reading, I am again amazed at what people endured, the evil wrought by others, and the stirring way this author/artist communicates the imagery, emotion, and perserverence that this horrible episode forced upon a Nation.