Saturday, January 15, 2005

Vacation images - exit stage left

I took this one on the same day as my previously-posted beach picture (and if you're not bored of seashore photos, I can probably post a couple more in the weeks to come. Just let me know if you're getting sick of this theme.)

What amazed me about that day was the contrast between the threateningly dark sky and the shafts of sun that fought to emerge through the clouds. It made for some vivid colors in the water, and a memorably unusual visit to what is usually an optically predictable place (bright sand, blue sky, kids in bathing suits, etc.)

Here, our avian friend exits stage left. I know seagulls are supposed to be dirty, common birds. But there's something magical about how they master the skies above the beach. That they were able to get airborne at all on this windy day - let alone glide as if they owned the place - was incredible.

It made me feel very small as I took this picture. What would you be thinking if you were observing this live?

4 comments:

Chris said...

Thinking: nothing at all.

Sensing: smelling the complex symphony of the ocean; tasting the tang of salt air; hearing the rush and hiss of the surf; feeling the damp wind push past me; seeing an eternally changing, changeless scene; and feeling very small.

Anonymous said...

Standing there, I'd find myself pondering three wishes. 1-I had a camera. 2-I had talent and (3)timing like yours.

Senses? I can't hear anything for the rush of wind and crashing waves. I will realize on returning indoors that I could've seen better without the glasses that would by then be dashed with bits of sand-dust.

This one took me straight back to the most recent trip I've taken to the ocean's edge (summer04). Thank you for that, it's a slew of fond memories.
:)

Joan said...

If I were observing this live, I would be totally at peace. Nothing calms me like being near the ocean. I can sit and stare at the waves for hours on end.

I love the gorgeous shade of green behind the first wave!

Red said...

I would often sit on the beach in Florida where I used to live and view the same type scenery. I thought of nothing!! I am a Cancer and we are drawn to water thats true!
The smell of the salt air, the breeze off the churning waters, the sound of the waves crashing....
ahhhhh...........
times like these I really miss Florida.