Still, the desire to improve ourselves should not be overlooked. It's what sets us apart from other species, and it's what gives us hope for the future. So in the spirit of tikkun olam - Hebrew for, literally, fixing our world - I present my short list of resolutions:
- I will listen more than I speak.
- I will do everything in my power to make others smile.
- I will hug everyone in my family as often as they'll let me.
- I will stare into my wife's eyes and take the sight of her in - again, as often as she will let me.
- I will spend more time with (and thinking about) people who matter and less time with (and thinking about) those who do not.
- I will use my writing to help others.
- I will repeat these resolutions to myself at least once a day for the next year. I believe in resolutions, after all; not New Year's resolutions.